Monday, December 1, 2014

*BOOK REVIEW* A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall (ARC Edition)

So because this is just an ARC and I do not have the completed and fully edited edition of A Little Something Different, this will be a little something different. LOL! It will be just a little mushed up.
So please just remember that my review is for the ARC of A Little Something Different not to finished product. Any part of the story could have been removed or edited for the finished product so thank you for understanding that this is not a review of what you may find in the book store. This is also a review that I have tried to keep spoilers out of.

 
{A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall}
{Publishing Date: August 26th, 2014}
{Publisher: Swoon Reads}
{268 Pages> Paperback}
 
 
The creative writing teacher, the delivery guy, the local Starbucks baristas, his best friend, her roommate, and the squirrel in the park all have one thing in common—they believe that Gabe and Lea should get together.

Lea and Gabe are in the same creative writing class. They get the same pop culture references, order the same Chinese food, and hang out in the same places. Unfortunately, Lea is reserved, Gabe has issues, and despite their initial mutual crush, it looks like they are never going to work things out.



I think I'd have appreciated this book more if it had been from Lea's or Gabe's point of view. Then again the story is about others believing in Gabe and Lea's relationship. But still, I think it would have been nice to hear from Lea and Gabe's pov as well as the others. The story though otherwise seems to be quite original. It's nothing like I've read before. Alright so I know I shouldn't judge a book by its first chapter, or first point of view in this case, but, oh my gosh this was so difficult!

Unfortunately to me the dialogue was quite childish and the description of things could've been so much better. I dislike being very critical about books without finding a few good things about it but by the end of the first person's view point I was tired.

All you really find out from Maribel's POV is that Gabe is cute and awkward because he tried four different ways to pick up his books. Also at the end of that first view point it seemed hurried, like "Are you okay? Yeah, you sure? Well bye Mar." It could have used some slowing down. I like Inga's POV much better because some of the things she says are quite funny and a snorting and smirking kind of way. Also... What the heck is with the in adamant object having voices? 
No... Just no.



Also, squirrels – squirrels don't talk and I'm pretty sure squirrels don't give a crap whether or not Gabe and Lea get together. NEITHER DOES THE BENCH! 

The bench was talking about butts... Oh my Gosh. I'm sorry but, really? Why did she have to make the bench talk? I'm all for creative writing, just not when it includes benches having thoughts and it's own personal feelings about which butts are best. 

Now, I know the characters are college age, but their dialogue and thought patterns scream childish. It really doesn't even make sense. Gabe sounds like a 16-year-old boy with girl problems. The only thing I can say that is good about this book was the fact that by the end it got better. It flowed well and I couldn't get the stupid smile I get off my face. Also, the fact that this book really is different. I have never read anything like it and I do appreciate that in an author. Sandy Hall is a good writer, but with all new authors they always need practice and I think as a debut book, A Little Something Different is cute and cheesy. As an award winning book I have no clue...but it's a good start.

A Little Something Different gets 3 Stars out of 5.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment