Tuesday, December 9, 2014

*BOOK REVIEW* Splintered by A.G. Howard


12558285
 
{Splintered by A.G. Howard}
{Pages: 371}
{Published: January 1, 2013 by Amulet Books}
 
When her mother’s mental health takes a turn for the worse, Alyssa learns that what she thought was fiction is based in terrifying reality. The real Wonderland is a place far darker and more twisted than Lewis Carroll ever let on. There, Alyssa must pass a series of tests, including draining an ocean of Alice’s tears, waking the slumbering tea party, and subduing a vicious bandersnatch, to fix Alice’s mistakes and save her family. She must also decide whom to trust: Jeb, her gorgeous best friend and secret crush, or the sexy but suspicious Morpheus, her guide through Wonderland, who may have dark motives of his own.

Splintered is a serious test of your ability to imagine. Not only is it fun to be able to stretch reality to whatever you want, but it also gives us a chance to try out something a little different.

Dialogue

Okay so this is a retelling – kind of– of Alice in Wonderland...dialogue is going to be wacky and loopy and out of control. What I liked though was that in the human world the dialogue is kept normal but easily shifted into a screwy language. I appreciate that the author did not lose control of the transition by starting the crazy talk to early or continuing it when they get back to the real world. I did find some of Morpheaus's words overly poetic and Jeb's sayings a little cheesy but maybe that's how they were supposed to appear. My favorite comment though had to be "Son of a Bug". It gave me a good laugh.

Settings

I hate saying this but this book somewhat lacked in this category which should not have happened. Though this lacked it can be easily overlooked because of the rest of the book. The reason I think this area could have had more oomph is because most of the scenes in Wonderland take place inside. There are a few scenes that were set outside but even then I didn't get a real feel of the rest of Wonderland except when I imagine the scenery and surroundings on my own. Having to do that meant starting from scratch in my head. Though there was some fine descriptions I personally feel that it could have used a little more embellishing on the author's part. So it is now up to you readers to create your own Wonderland.

A.G. Howard has given you a great template, now all you have to do is use. The settings that were present though we're perfect! The Wonderland vibe is there, from Morpheaus's room to his dining room to the Twid's graveyard.

Characters 

Alrighty well, we can begin with they were great! All of them. Morpheaus confused me quite a bit which was in the long run alright, as he was a wonderland character.

Alyssa is less severe than I hoped she'd be. I imagined she'd be a serious tough cookie. She crumpled a lot when it came to Morpheus and Jeb though. Just being the first book I'm holding out hope that she'll turn into a more hard-core, steam punk, kick butt character in book too.

Now for Jeb. He's super sweet character. He's overly protective because he loves Alyssa (Read the book at it becomes seriously clearly very quickly). Though his appearance scream something seriously different he's just a big puppy dog. I love when he threatens Morpheus though it's hilarious. 

Just because I feel I have to mention it though I am unsure of what is to come in book 2 – the whole red court was nothing like we know the red court to be. It wasn't crazy and mad. Though when we get a slight (yet obscure) glance at Queen Red it was to the tee the perfect example of the Red Queen. I just wish the whole court had managed to hold up that same personality.


Beyond the point I brought out Splintered gets a out of stars for a great retelling of Lewis Carroll's "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland"

No comments:

Post a Comment