Thursday, March 20, 2014

My Interview with Author Lindsay Cummings


My Interview with Lindsay Cummings Author of The Murder Complex


{Publication Date: 6/10/2014 by Greenwillow Books}
{400 Pages} 
{Author: Lindsay Cummings}


Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?



1) What was the inspiration behind "The Murder Complex"?  

I saw a news story about a town plagued with murders…I really wanted to know MORE about it! So I put my own scifi twist on the story!


2) As a new and upcoming author, what advice can you give to other aspiring writers out there? 
Definitely read and write every day. Writing is a muscle, and if you don’t work it out, you won’t grow! Always stay positive, and have others read your work and give you feedback.

3) Why did you choose to start writing and when did you realize that you had an interest in becoming an author? 
I was sick the summer I graduated high school. I had tons of surgeries, and I didn’t know what to do with my life. I had to drop out of college, and when I realized that writing made me happy…I decided that MAYBE I could turn it into a career!

4) What are your biggest must haves while writing? 
Usually iced tea, and a snack. I also have to be alone!

5) What have you found to be one of your biggest struggles while writing?
Self doubt. I think every writer struggles with this. Over time, you just have to learn that it’s okay to write bad first drafts!

6) What is your favorite YA novel? If not YA, what genre? 
I love THG, Legend, Harry Potter, Delirium, Divergent, Under the Never Sky….wow, way too many. 

7) Best Advice ever given to you? 

Lauren Oliver said, “If writing is all you have, then writing is all you need!”

8) Who are some of your role models? (Family, friends, author, etc.)

The published authors that, no matter their successes, treats others like equals. I think that’s really something wonderful. I also LOVE Jennifer Lawrence. Like….a ton.

9) Some authors have said that 'when they began writing, they just knew that this was what they wanted to write about, and that their characters were the right characters'. How did you come to know that you wanted to write from 'Meadow's' perspective, and basically want to write this genre?
For The Murder Complex, I knew from the second I started writing. I don’t know why, it just clicked! Since then, other things I’ve worked on have been much, much harder. Sometimes it flows. Other times, you have to really work for it! I can’t explain why! :0

10) Have you found anything from your daily life transferring into your writing?
My weapons collection. 

No comments:

Post a Comment