Tuesday, February 24, 2015

*BOOK REVIEW* These Broken Stars by Meagan Spooner and Amie Kaufman


https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13138635-these-broken-stars?from_search=true

 

{Authors: Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner}
{Publisher: Disney Hyperion}
{Pages: 374 Pages}
 
Summary:
 Luxury spaceliner Icarus suddenly plummets from hyperspace into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive -- alone. Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a cynical war hero. Both journey across the eerie deserted terrain for help. Everything changes when they uncover the truth.





I really can't put anything better about this book then what is already written. This book is amazing!

When it comes to characters these two and the rest of the supporting cast were amazing! Tarver had me hooked from the start. The depth and his character was incredible. I never had him pegged as a poetry – writing, soldier. He's gone through the loss of a family member and having to leave his parents and his character is portrayed just as a strong-willed, young man was trying to get home would be.

Lilac is remarkably stubborn, temperamental and I don't know if it would be bad to say that I relate, but hey! I'm a redhead too! Who knows haha 
The point is Lilac has a secret, hidden guilt that's plagued her into warring off young men like Tarver.
Getting stuck on some lifeless planet is the last thing they want. These two couldn't be more different until they are forced to work together to survive. You then begin to see the fire in both of them to get home. The stubbornness and the care they share for each other is point-blank, just beautiful. 
I'll admit their relationship could have kickstarted a little quicker. You read this and you'll know what I mean when I say, their time actually showing them in love is less than a quarter of the time they're together. The rest of it is when they're fighting. 

To be frankly honest though this is one of the stories that will break your heart but will still put a smile on your face anyway.
So my suggestion is grabbing a box of tissues just to be ready.

 

The scenes are spectacular though I'm still reasonably confused by the terraforming and re-creations made by the rift. I guess it's just one of the big mysteries of what is These Broken Stars. 

When I first read this I had an idea of what this will turn out to be like and when I started reading it it came to life in my head and on the pages. It was like reading about the Titanic!



 
 
 Besides all their irritable fighting and the fact that Tarver is no Leonardo DiCaprio it could have been pretty close.
 
I guess I have mixed emotions about this book. I think if something should have been changed around a little bit it should have been the timing of things, hence their lengthy arguments!!!, it would have been perfect! 

The way both characters talk though, they're both so poetic that you fall in love with them right away. Lilac pissed me off at times, but the way she spoke and remembered things just made me love her at the same time. 

The scenes were beautiful as well. They make complete sense in the fact that the spaceship crashed, there would be wreckage and they're walking through the wreckage and dealing with the wreckage which makes perfect sense! It got a little Quacky in the end with the rift in the basement but without spoiling anything I'll just leave it at that I thought it was a little weird.

In the end though my final thoughts on the book are that it is poetic, beautiful, a real work of art and I would read this again I'll just have to buy another box of tissues first. 

4 1/2 Stars out of 5 Stars for These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment